GOVERNOR’S LODGE PROTEST: AKWA IBOM CONSCIENCE, POLICE AGREE ON NEW DATE OVER SECURITY CONCERNS.
Following a long meeting between the leadership of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command led by the Commissioner of Police, Akwa Ibom Conscience led by its Convener, Inibehe Effiong and the Akwa Ibom State Youth Caucus represented by their members, and in the light of the tensed security situation in the State arising from the decision by a rival group to hold a counter protest on Friday within the Uyo metropolis, it was unanimously agreed as follows:
1. That all protests and rallies slated for Friday 11th August, 2017 should be cancelled.
2. That the two groups should pick new dates for their protests which must not be conflicting.
3. In view of the above, Akwa Ibom Conscience picked Monday 14th August, 2017. The agreed take off point will now be Four Town Secondary School, Abak Road, Uyo by 10 AM.
4. The State Police State Command will provide maximum security for the protest on Monday. We have also briefed the State Security Service (SSS) on the new agreement by ALL PARTIES.
5. The Akwa Ibom State Youth Caucus decided that they will now hold their own solidarity protest in support of the governor any time from the 1st week of September 2017.
In the light of the foregoing, Akwa Ibom Conscience hereby appeals to members of the public who truly believe in this cause to tarry for a while, in the overall interest of peace and security of the people.
In reaching this agreement, we were guided by the tragic incident which took place today in Lagos at the Akwa Ibom State Liaison Office, Ajose Adeogun Street, Victoria Island, where we were viciously assaulted and attacked by sponsored elements. We shall address this issue properly subsequently.
Please note that the decision to cancel the protest tomorrow and reschedule same for Monday was taken in good faith. We are very interested in the safety of the people.
Nobody can compromise us. Nobody can buy us. And nobody can sponsor us. We are principled, nonpartisan and resilient.
We apologise for the inconveniences that this change of date will occasion to those who were ready and prepared for tomorrow. There is no need for confrontation. Our message will still be sent on Monday.
Kindly communicate this latest development to everyone that you can reach.
Freedom cometh by struggle. Dare to struggle, dare to win.
Convener, Akwa Ibom Conscience.